Thursday, December 15, 2016

Unit 5 Reflection

Throughout this unit, we learned about the Central Dogma, which is the many processes in which proteins are formed.
First the DNA unzips. Then the mRNA attaches to the unmatched bases. But as it attaches, it replaces the thymine with uracil. Then the mRNA detaches from the half of the DNA and the DNA zips back up. The mRNA then leaves the nucleus through the nuclear pores to go to the cytoplasm. That entire process is one part of protein synthesis and is called transcription.
Then, after the mRNA comes to the cytoplasm, it attaches to the ribosome, where it reads the bases in triplet groups called codons. The mRNA starts with the start codon signalling the ribosome to start reading it and the stop codon in the end signals the ribosome to stop reading the sequence. While the ribosome reads the sequence, the tRNA then brings the amino acids, which then attach to each codon. Eventually an amino acid is attached to each codon in the sequence where it then detaches from the mRNA and tRNA. This process is called translation. The mRNA is then sent back through the nuclear pores where it is recycled in the nucleus and the tRNA is sent back to the cytoplasm where it is recycled there as well.
amino-acids-metabolism-figure-2-149BBF6DDD969BAB1D1.png
Finishing off the protein synthesis process, the amino acids then bond together to form a protein. The protein is then sent off to the rough endoplasmic reticulum and then sent to the Golgi apparatus where it is then shipped out of the cell using vesicles to help the body function.
Unknown------------666.jpg
This unit really brought together all of the concepts from day one, because everything we started was finished, meaning that in a cell, we learned what each of the organelles do in previous units. Then we saw how the organelles contribute to the creation of proteins and how proteins are necessary. We then finished off with how proteins are made specifically and how after the mRNA and tRNA is recycled and the finished proteins are sent back to be used by the body. This unit really brought everything full circle.
However although I say that this unit really brought everything full circle, it took me a while to really understand how this related to what else we learned in this unit, which was one of the struggles that I had to face throughout this unit. But by using what I learned in the VARK Questionnaire that I took last unit, I learned that diagrams and visuals were helpful to me, which is why by making diagrams and writing out the whole process I was able to connect the concepts.
I struggled with wondering with what happens next. For example, I wondered where exactly tRNA came from but also where it goes after the amino acids bond.
But my strengths came after my initial struggle. My being able to understand how everything came together was a strength because it helped me understand the concepts better.
I still want to know more about RNA. During this unit it was brought up that a ribosome actually is just a bunch of RNA, which is a little bit hard to grasp still.
I consider myself a better student than I was in the previous units, because I learned how to use my strengths to my advantage. Since I am more of a visual person, I drew out all of the diagrams and wrote out all of the processes. I know how to study better, which is a skill that I can use not only in the science class but outside it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment