Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Human DNA Extraction Lab

In this lab, we asked the question, “How can DNA be separated from cheek cells in order to study it?” I found that after the cold isopropanol alcohol was added to the solution, the DNA was separated. In order for the DNA to be separated from my cheek cells, I homogenized the cell tissue with the gatorade and the saliva, I washed the solution out with soap during the lysis process, then I added the salt and the pineapple juice facilitated the precipitation process as they broke down the remaining histones, and lastly to separate the DNA from the cell, I added the cold isopropanol alcohol to the solution. During the homogenization, lysis, and precipitation processes, the cells started to become visible and eventually the individual DNA molecule started to become visible. The claim that the alcohol is what caused the DNA to separate from cheek cells could come from the knowledge that DNA is polar and the alcohol is nonpolar. Since the DNA separates after the alcohol is added because of the clash in the polarity, it would support my claim that after the cold isopropanol alcohol was added to the solution, the DNA was separated.
While my hypothesis stating that the alcohol will cause the DNA to separate was supported, there could have been errors. Some of the errors that occurred that could have affected the outcome was when after the pineapple juice was added, the mixing process led to some of the solution spilling out of the tube due to the ineffective cover that was placed on the test tube that could have led to some important molecules that affected the effect of the enzyme on the DNA extraction process. The second error that occurred had to do with the amount of alcohol that was put into the solution. Since I didn’t measure the exact amount of the alcohol and instead put an estimated amount of alcohol, it could have led to affecting the molecule of DNA. In order to prevent these mistakes in the future, I could use a better stopper for the tube that covers the tube in a way so none of the solution spills out. In addition, to prevent the harming of the DNA, I could measure the amount of solution I had and then measure exactly the same amount of alcohol to add to the solution instead of estimating the amount of alcohol. So mainly, both of my mistakes could be prevented by being more accurate.
This lab was done to show how DNA is extracted and the different visible stages in which the DNA goes through during the extraction process. This lab relates to what we’ve learned in class because currently we are studying DNA and its replication process, so through this lab, we were able to see the most basic of the processes, the DNA being extracted. This could be applied to future situations because if I go into a field of genetics, then DNA extraction along with far more complicated procedures would be what I would do.

No comments:

Post a Comment